The CCI Programme wants to contribute to the data bases collecting Essential Climate Variables (ECV) required by the United Nations Framework Convention of Climate Change (UNFCCC) and the International Panel on Climate Change.
In particular, Ozone_cci will:
- Analyze the needs of the climate research community in terms of Ozone data.
- Adapt the Ozone satellite measurements for their use by the climate research community.
- Use Ozone data available in the ESA Earth observation archive, as well as Ozone data from Third Party Missions (TPM). (TPM data come from instruments owned by other parties than ESA)
Three main product lines will be developed:
- Total ozone from nadir UV backscatter sensors
- Ozone profiles from nadir UV backscatter sensors
- Ozone profiles from limb and occultation sensors
The concept is explained in following figure:
Before we start producing data, we need to answer a few key questions:
- What kind of data do the climate scientists need as input data in the coupled chemistry-climate models? (these models predict the future evolution of climate)
- What is the requested quality of these data (precision and accuracy)?
This is why our scientists have created a User Requirements Document.